Tooth and Canal Recleaning
With the appropriate care, your teeth that have had endodontic treatment will last as long as other natural teeth. Yet, a tooth that has received treatment may fail to heal or pain may continue to exist. Sometimes, the pain may occur months or years after treatment. If so, endodontic retreatment may be needed.
Improper healing may be caused by:
- Curved or narrow canals that were not treated during the initial treatment.
- Complicated canals that went undetected during the initial treatment.
- The crown or restoration was not placed within the appropriate amount of time following the procedure (leakage).
- The crown or restoration that did not prevent saliva from contaminating the inside of the tooth.
Endodontic Re-Treatment Illustrated
Root Material Placed
In some cases, new problems can emerge which affects a tooth that was successfully treated:
- New decay can expose a root canal filling material, causing infection.
- A cracked or loose filling or crown can expose the tooth to new infection.
Once retreatment has been selected as a solution to your problem, the doctors will reopen your tooth to gain access to the root canal filling material. This restorative material will be removed to enable access to the root canal. The doctors will now clean your canals and carefully examine the inside of the problematic tooth. Once cleaned, doctor Horalek will place a filling in the tooth or repair the existing crown.
If the tooth is a molar tooth, you will usually need to return to your dentist as soon as possible in order to have a new crown to restore full functionality, unless an existing crown is present, serviceable, and can be repaired.
Patient Reviews: Endodontic Re-Treatment
Please read our Patient Testimonials, below. Please visit the Patient Review form to leave a review about your endodontic retreatment experiences with Dr. Horalek and the Staff at North Raleigh Endodontics. Call our office if you would like more information: North Raleigh Endodontics Office Phone Number 919-256-3996.
North Raleigh Endodontics
Patient Testimonial from Judy A
Actually had a very enjpyable visit. Will highly recommend to others
- Judy A